The third over 40s championships were held on Sunday 13 April and Sunday 11 May with a record number of 34 players competing in the three events – Men’s, Women’s and Mixed doubles. We were able to complete the Men’s and Women’s events on the first Sunday as scheduled before the heavens opened and the rain arrived!
There was some great tennis and some very close matches.
Kevin Wilson and Graeme Wong combined to win the Men’s doubles, beating Marc Piercey and Roger Parker in a tie-break in a very close match. Pip Groom and Deb Petersen won the Women’s doubles, beating the number one seeds Cath Randall and Deb Wansbrough in the final.
The first round of the Mixed doubles was completed on 13 April but the remaining matches were rained out and were finished on Sunday 11 May in glorious weather! Sandra Edge and Kevin Wilson won the event for the third successive year, beating Deb Wansbrough and Marc Piercey in the final.
The winners and runners up of each event were as follows:
- Winners: Kevin Wilson and Graeme Wong
- Runners Up: Roger Parker and Marc Piercey
- Plate Winners: Shane Robins and Alan Simpson
- Winners: Pip Groom and Deb Petersen
- Runners Up: Cath Randall and Deb Wansbrough
- Plate Winners: Claire Myer and Cheryl Moon
- Winners: Sandra Edge and Kevin Wilson
- Runners Up: Deb Wansbrough and Marc Piercey
- Plate Winners: Linda Blum and Alan Simpson
Full results can be found here.