The senior club championships were held on Anzac Day and Saturday 26 April. Fortunately, the forecast rain stayed away on the Friday but players had to contend with blustery conditions. Saturday though was a glorious day with perfect tennis playing conditions.
There was some great tennis over the two days with 26 players taking part in the five events.
The Men’s singles had the biggest draw with 13 players and the final between the two top seeds, the head coach Andrew Taylor and Luke Piercey, was a marathon lasting just under three hours. Andrew took out the title after a very tight match, winning 7-5 in the third set after saving a match point.
Special mention must go to rising junior Maggie Dai who won all three events she entered – the Women’s singles, the Women’s doubles with Linda Blum and the Mixed doubles with Sebastian On. As well as winning the Mixed doubles Sebastian also won the Men’s doubles, partnering Andrew to a victory over Luke and Dave Cullen.
Winners and runners up
- Winner: Andrew Taylor
- Runner up: Luke Piercey
- Men’s singles finalists Luke Piercey and Andrew Taylor
- Plate winner: Scott Borren
- Plate runner up: Jimmy Tie
- Winner: Maggie Dai
- Runner up: Cath Randall
- Women’s singles finalists Cath Randall and Maggie Dai
- Plate winner: Deb Wansbrough
- Plate runner up: Holly Bazett
- Winners: Andrew Taylor and Sebastian On
- Runners up: Luke Piercey and Dave Cullen
- Men’s doubles finalists Sebastian On, Andrew Taylor, Dave Cullen and Luke Piercey
- Plate winners: Simeo Pont and Sam Hyde-Smith
- Plate runners up: Marc Piercey and Roger Parker
- Winners: Maggie Dai and Linda Blum
- Runners up: Deb Wansbrough and Cath Randall
- Women’s doubles runners up Cath Randall and Deb Wansbrough with winners Maggie Dai and Linda Blum
- Winners: Maggie Dai and Sebastian On
- Runners up: Deb Wansbrough and Marc Piercey
- Mixed doubles finalists Deb Wansbrough, Marc Piercey, Maggie Dai and Sebastian On
- Plate winners: Holly Bazett and Roger Parker
- Plate runners up: Cath Randall and Bob Buckle
Full results are available here.